2 sticks of celery diced
500g of small shallots
1) Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large sauce pan. Add the vegetables, thyme, garlic and bay leaves and sweat for 2-3 min, add the wine and bring to the boil. Take off the heat and allow cooling down.
2) Place the beef in a large bowl and poor over the wine marinade. Cover and place in the fridge over night.
3) Pre heat the oven to 150C or 300F. Drain the beef in a colander and reserve the marinade.
4) Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan until Smokey hot, add the beef and seal until brown. Add the flour and the tomato puree and stir for 2 min. Add the stock slowly and the wine marinade. Bring to the boil. Transfer to a suitable deep oven dish, cover and put in the oven for 1.5-2 hours.
5) Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the smoked bacon cut into small baton, and then add the shallots and mushrooms. Toss until cooked, and then add the chopped parsley.
6) Take the beef out, and put onto a serving dish. Arrange the garnish neatly in the centre of the beef and the shaped bread on the side of the dish.