Mozzarella-stuffed courgette flowers with pan-fried sardines and herb salad
For the courgette flowers
100g/3½oz self-raising flour
½ tsp five spice powder
300ml/10fl oz sparkling water
5 ice cubes
3 courgette flowers
85g/3oz mozzarella cheese
vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the sardines
2 sardines, butterflied
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
For the herb salad
1 handful mixed fresh herbs (basil, parsley, chervil and chives)
olive oil, for drizzling
1. For the courgette flowers, mix the flour, cornflour and five spice powder together in a bowl and add enough sparkling water to create a batter with the consistency of single cream. Stir in the ice to chill.
2. Half-fill a deep pan with vegetable oil and heat until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden-brown in 30 seconds.
3. Open out the courgette flowers and stuff each one with a piece of mozzarella. Twist the flower ends together to seal. Dip into the batter and deep fry in the oil for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. For the sardines, season the fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle over the oil. Heat a pan until smoking, then sear the fish skin-side down for 2-3 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. Place the sardines onto a serving plate alongside the courgette flowers and the herb salad. Drizzle the olive oil over the salad and serve.Mozzarella-stuffed courgette flowers with pan-fried sardines and herb salad
Submitted by Kenny McBean, F&B Manager at The Rembrandt